STISD will open enrollment for the 2023-24 school year on Saturday, Jan. 14.
The enrollment form must be completed online at www.stisd.net. STISD is a tuition-free, open-enrollment district, and all students residing in Cameron, Hidalgo or Willacy County are eligible to enroll. Students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Limited seats are available, and enrollment for each campus will close once the school reaches capacity.
STISD offers students an educational alternative through seven magnet schools throughout the Rio Grande Valley – two middle schools, four high schools, and a virtual school that consists of both middle and high school.
The district’s two middle schools include STISD Preparatory Academy in Edinburg and STISD Rising Scholars Academy in San Benito. These schools serve students in grades 6 through 8. While enrolled in these middle schools, students take above-grade-level courses in various subject areas, with the opportunity to gain high school credits to put them on track for more advanced coursework while attending one of STISD’s magnet high schools.
STISD’s four high schools offer students in grades 9-12 the opportunity to gain preparation for college, career and life through career-and-technical education (CTE) coursework and opportunities for hands- on learning and earning industry-based certifications. All four of STISD’s high schools are also participating in a custom-made expanded collegiate partnership with The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to offer students the chance to earn 42+ college credits while in high school. These campuses include:
- South Texas ISD Health Professions (Health Professions) in Mercedes: focuses on the various health careers while allowing students to develop clinical skills in area hospitals, nursing homes and pharmacies, as well as doctor, dentist and veterinary offices.
- South Texas ISD Medical Professions (Medical Professions) in Olmito: emphasizes the careers of medicine; students develop medical and clinical skills in area hospitals and doctor offices.
- South Texas ISD Science Academy in Mercedes: specializes in the math and science careers; partners with Project Lead the Way, Inc., a national pre-engineering program in which students can receive college credit beginning their freshman year. The campus also recently launched the Program of Academic Excellence via Externships (PAE2), through which students have an opportunity to do externships with community partners to gain hands-on experience in a career field of choice.
- South Texas ISD World Scholars (World Scholars) in Edinburg: one of only a few International Baccalaureate (IB) campuses in the Rio Grande Valley. Students are not only eligible to graduate with an international diploma through IB, but are also eligible for free college/university credit opportunities + an associate’s degree through established partnerships with UTRGV and South Texas College.
- South Texas ISD Virtual Academy (Virtual Academy) – virtual campus: STISD’s newest school, now in its second year - serving students in grades 6-11 for the 2023-2024 school year. This is not the same virtual learning you’ve experienced before. Virtual Academy offers true virtual learning, with instruction and support from certified teachers, small groups and individualized student support. Students take core courses and electives 100 percent virtually from home, and have the opportunity to participate in extracurriculars, including sports, in-person.
This year, all campuses will begin their enrollment at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 14. Although seat reservation requests will not be accepted until that day and time, interested students and parents can start the process ahead of time by creating a Family Profile and Student Profile.
Preparatory Academy and Rising Scholars Academy will accept applications for students entering the sixth-, seventh-, or eighth-grade in August 2023. Health Professions, Medical Professions, Science Academy and World Scholars will enroll students who will start the ninth-, 10th- or 11th- grade in August 2023. STISD Virtual Academy will enroll students who will be entering grades 6-11 next school year.
As STISD is a public school district, there is no cost to attend any STISD school. Bus transportation is also provided free of charge. STISD and its campuses consistently rank among the best in the state and nation in various polls, including those in The Washington Post, U.S. News & World Report, and Niche. STISD was ranked second in the state and 38th in the nation in the 2023 Niche Best K-12 School Rankings.
For more information about STISD, visit https://insidestisd.com or call (956) 565-2454.